Friday, May 17, 2013

Weather Facts



1.  Just because the paper says we are in a 60 year low for tornado activity doesn't mean they don't happen.  Cue Granbury and Cleburne TX Wednesday night...Weatherguessers are calling for more sporty weather in the midwest again this weekend.

2.  Having grown up in the midwest, in the land of basements, aka Tornado Alley, I know how important it is to pay attention to the weather.  How important it is, to have a plan.  How important it is, to have a place to GO in the event of severe weather.  The summer after the Westminster TX tornadoVideo.  We installed an inground storm shelter on our property after Westminster.  It was not cheap, but has more than paid for itself in peace of mind (and auxillary storage space.)


3.  Lest we forget that other spring/summer/early fall storm season, the 2013 hurricane season officially began a couple days ago, and already TS Alvin is spinning away out there!  Should you have interests in the Gulf Coast areas, it would be wise to pay attention to the Gulf weather...

4.  Amateur Radio, aka Ham Radio, is an invaluable resource for the weather spotters, the forecasters at NWS, and the general population.  The Skywarn networks operate in the ham bands and listening in, or participating, helps a lot to give you greater lead time on severe weather in your area.  Plus, in the event of a serious storm outbreak, sometimes it is the only surviving mode of communications that will still work.  Cell phones are nice, until your tower is down, or your Central Office is wiped to the foundation (Stockton MO May 2003).

5.  Getting your ham license is fun and easy.  The old Morse Code requirement is gone, though you can still learn it, and some bands/portions are restricted to Morse use or digital modes.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Wow I have no idea how this feels to be scared all the time about the weather. I am glad you are prepared that is an excellent shelter. Take care my friend. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't envy the type of weather that you guys can get! Here in Virginia, I am thankful that we have the mountains to the west of us to help squeeze some of the fury out of the weather systems that develop and race this way.

    That storm cellar thing is really cool! Totally NOT what was featured in Wizard of Oz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttons--it's not fear, but instead, respect.

    Hartwood--the storm shelter really is cool. Weighs over 12ton, and does not leak. the door is F5 rated, and we have power, light and fans inside too! And I am SO going to have to check out your roses!

    Vic303

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in Tornado Alley most of my life (Texas, Nebraska,) and have a major respect for bad weather. Glad that you have a space to go to if things get dicey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't imagine having to always worry about the weather... how long does your season last?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to know you have a safe place. Hopefully you won't need to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine living in T country, I admire the tenacity it must take. When I was growing up we had two Ham Radio addicts on our block, they were celebrities of sorts. Wise to have your shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you built a secure place to go your property. Peace of mind is worth its weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you have peace of mind with the shelter and using it for storage too -- nice! Yes, hurricane season is starting up -- ugh. Just paid my flood insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weather can be very frightening. I was once very close to a tornado and I have been in several hurricanes. They do so much damage. Glad you have your shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad the worst passed you guys by. Lu and I are keeping you in our prayers for the rest of the season.

    It's funny you mentioning the Ham Radio. I've always had the bug but just never seemed to have the time to sit down and do it. I think I'll address that. Thanks Vic!!

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.