May the 4th be with you!
Friday, April 29, 2016
As usual, linking up with Nancy at www.aruraljournal.blogspot.com for Random 5 Friday.
1. We got a lot accomplished this week. We got our problem tree topped, so we can drop the trunk when convenient.
2. We finally got our storm shelter installed! With the weather here lately, we might need it soon.
3. The kids and I managed to empty one more storage unit! That leaves just one, filled with stuff from the old house. Hopefully we can get rid of a lot of it!
4. DH scored us a deal on a pair of new handheld transceivers (HTs). We are both ham radio operators, using some old HTs, and thought it would be nice to have a new pair we can pass to any of our kids who might someday, eventually, maybe if they'd get off their kindles and study for it, get their own ham licenses. The radios are the 7w Baofeng 82 DX's I think.
5. Below is a photo of a beautiful toad the decided to rest on our pool fence. I don't know what species, but I enjoyed seeing him.
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
The large Water Oak in our back yard had to go. I hated doing it, as it was probably close to a hundred years old. But sadly, the heart of the tree was rotten, probably from lightning strikes, plus a huge hole in the base of it, and insect damage all meant the tree was not really safe.
Dave tried to top it, but wasn't able to get high enough in the tree. So we hired an arborist to come top the tree. Dave would drop the remaining trunk later, and we would cut the limbs for firewood.
It only took an hour for them to top the tree. The kids and I worked about two hours on the 3-D jigsaw puzzle of limbs, with me on the small chainsaw.
Unfortunately, the chainsaw safety gear, chaps, helmet, face shield, and ear-pro do not breathe well, and I got rather over heated in the sun and humidity.
Still, we got a lot done before Dave got home from work. I left him all the big logs to cut with his new Stihl 311. It's really too much saw for me to wrangle safely.
We will be working on the pile more tomorrow, after the shelter install is done, and before the big storms are forecast.
Friday, April 22, 2016
Well it seems that Friday has crept up on me...so here is a quick shot at my week. As always, linking up with Nancy at www.aruraljournal.blogspot.com for R5F.
1. Moving 4300# of gravel by shovel is hard work! The kids and I built a wood and gravel platform, 8x16', for DH's woodpile empire.
2. The tree guy couldn't take down our tree yesterday because he got the bucket truck stuck in the mud in my yard.
3. Wishing the Queen, HRH Elizabeth II (EIIR) a happy 90th birthday!
4. We had to split our chicken flock into two boxes. The big chicks were picking on the little ones, due to crowding. Seems all are happier now.
5. I can't wait until we can let the guineas out to range on the bugs here. Those two little grey assassins made short work of a huge wolf spider yesterday!