Saturday, January 31, 2015
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Monday, January 19, 2015
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Friday, January 16, 2015
Spotted this at the local Kroger grocery and I guess it just jumped in my cart when I wasn't looking!
It hasn't chilled quite enough, but I couldn't resist trying something called Chocolate Stout.
It's very definitely a Stout, and the chocolate flavor is quite pronounced. I like it. Too bad it is a limited run for just this brewery birthday.
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Monday, January 12, 2015
Yep. the weather has not been cooperating (nor has my dishwasher, but that's another story) for riding. My goal was for 84mi/week. By now, I should be at or close to 168mi for the year just to stay on track for my total mileage goal. I have 40. Period. Yeah, I'm not happy.
It's been cold, and wet, intermittently icy, and dreary cloudy, and occasionally windier than I consider safe (30+mph). Makes for lousy and somewhat unsafe cycling, especially the wet in the cold. I do NOT want to crash! Do you know how slick those road paint stripes and crosswalks get, when they're just a little bit wet, and coated with a faint film of motor oil? Slicker 'n snot on a hot day!
If the sun would just break through the clouds, it would really help. I know, I know, if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride. I should just suit up and go anyway, once the roads dry off. Maybe I will. Or maybe I'll just stay home, lift weights, and wait for the call to come that the new dishwasher is ready to pick up.
It could be worse I guess. The worst thing so far to happen this year, is my less-than-2 year-old dishwasher died. ( It may be the impeller pump, or more likely the logic board--I checked and disassembled everything else in it yesterday, trust me!) We avoided ice storms, and dentists, unlike a good friend in blogosphere. DH's Borg Implant is working well, and giving us a world of new data to play with. It's really interesting, actually. It has already caused DH to change what he puts in his morning cup of coffee. Heck, I even got to the pool last Thursday for a swim!
So, y'all stay safe, and warm, ok? And be sure to check out DH's Borg Implant, it really is cool.
Thursday, January 8, 2015
So what to do? I've got some elbow inflammation acting up, so that sort of limits my weight lifting as I don't want to make it a chronic issue. I don't want to ride rollers indoors--I'd likely crash and break something (bike, furniture, bones...). Walk the dogs? Too cold and windy. I don't run unless it's an emergency (see also, Too cold).
Wait a minute...it is Thursday, right? (Yeah I know, I wrote this piece on Wednesday, thinking it was only Tuesday...oops!) But Tuesday and Thursday is free swim time at the local senior center. And I have a senior center membership! A perk(?) of being in my second half century I guess.
So, instead of freezing my fanny off tomorrow in this frigid spell, I intend to bask in the indoor heated warmth of the pool, attempting to remember how to swim laps! I found my suit, and my bug-eyed goggles, so I should be set. I wonder if they'd let me use my snorkel for lap swimming? Hmmm, I will have to ask!
Friday, January 2, 2015
1. To double my 2014 total mileage (or more!). This means riding at least 4,365 miles by 23:59hrs, 12/31/15. That's roughly what DH rode this year alone, and he missed 4mo of riding. It works out to 84 miles a week. That's not too hard to manage, provided the weather cooperates. Now that I have a comfortable recumbent, that is also looking like a fast bike even for this old engine, it shouldn't be too horrible a goal.
2. I want to do a sub-7 hour (moving time) imperial century. I may try to do that at Hotter 'N Hell 2015 if I am feeling strong enough, especially considering the potential for high heat and winds out at Wichita Falls. HHH just tends to bring out the best in riders, so maybe I can hit this goal there. My last century was in 2012 at 7:44:32 for about 103mi (forgot to turn gps on at the start but it did capture 100.7mi) and a 13.0 moving avg.
3. To enjoy riding BAK 2015.
4. That all of my family avoids serious illness and injury in 2015.
5. To remember on every ride that DFL>DNF>DNS. (that's from a sig line I saw on BROL)