Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Shoulder update

Today marks 3 weeks since I let Doc rebuild my left shoulder.So far, this one is progressing much faster than my rebuild from 2009 on the right side.  At 18 days post-op, I was allowed to remove the side pillow from the sling, and only have to use it at night.  That's huge, in my mind!  I also got to start ROM exercises with it, doing basic pendulum swings 3x a day.  The incisions are healing nicely, and being much smaller than in 2009, there won't be nearly as impressive a scar.

Doc asked how it felt, and I said it didn't hurt, unless I moved it too far.  That merited the raised eyebrow from Doc.  Then he asked if I was sleeping in my bed yet.  I replied that I had been sleeping in my own bed since I got home from the surgery!  He didn't believe me at first, saying nobody sleeps in their bed the day of the surgery...(except me!)  When I insisted I was telling the truth, and that I had even begun to try sleeping on my surgical side (left), Doc just looked at me and said, "You're just weird!"  DH and I both just laughed.

I am trying so hard, to behave, with my restricted activity.  I want to go out and ride, and thankfully, DH takes me out on the tandem on the weekends if it isn't raining.  We got 33mi in this past weekend, which was grand.  I want to get started on full blown PT, and to get lifting again...but that will have to await Doc's orders.  I sure don't want to screw up this repair, by diving back into lifting too soon. So I make due with bodyweight squats, lunges, Romanian split squats, one arm planks, leg lifts and crunches.  It's not a lot, but at least I think it is limiting the loss of muscle tone, in the legs anyway.  Plus there is riding the rear wheel trainer.  I can usually stomach 45-60min of that, and have been trying some HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training).  Hopefully this will give me enough in the legs to make a go of the 2015 Hotter 'n Hell bike ride at the end of August.  I SO want to do a sub-7hr century!

3 comments:

  1. All that good news is because you are in good shape!!! Nice to here about quick healing...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope you get to do Hotter than Hell 100. It sounds like you are doing well with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you are healing up so quickly hon!

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.