Thursday, August 24, 2017

Canine adventure, and goodbye

Some of you may know we have been fostering a dog for our local shelter.  His name is Sarge.  He is a Harrier hound mix, and very good natured.  He has been with us nearly 6 mo, with no adoption prospects in sight.

Yesterday I got word, on short notice, that a place on the Rescue Wagon had been secured for Sarge, and he would be going to a shelter (no-kill) in Cheyenne WY.  Apparently they have a nice community program, and a much larger adoption pool for Sarge to find his Forever Home from.

It would've been very easy to foster-fail him.  He fit into our pack and routine so easily.  He's very gentle and loving, and not a big barker either.  We had a good handle on his separation anxiety.  But...if we had kept him, we would have to opt out of fostering any other dogs.   We are maxed out at 4 dogs (3 Ridgebacks and 1 foster).  As is, with DH's probable hip surgery coming up, having one less dog in the house should make it easier for him to navigate whilst recovering.  We are planning on helping walk dogs that have been pulled for rescue groups, that are housed offsite.  It's a way we can help out, without bringing another dog home after DH's surgery.  Once all that is cleared up, we may well do short term fosters.  That makes space and pens available, for intake, and helps reduce the euthanasia risk.

Sarge, I will miss you!  I wish you all the best, in finding your forever family.  It was hard to let you go, but I have to trust the process.  I hope you love the change in climate, and discover snow!




1 comment:

  1. Awe... it's so brave of you to let him go. I don't know that I'd be able to do it, but I do understand your reasons. Best Wishes to Sarge!

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.