Saturday, March 17, 2018

Little things

Today was a day for little things.  Things got done, but not "big" projects.  We sort of needed a break too.  We rebuilt a firewood rack for the back deck.  I had salvaged it from the neighbors, who have a gas fireplace and didn't want it anymore.  Some fresh wood, and glossy black rattlecan, and it looks rather nice.
While I was working on the firewood rack, DH was building a new kindling rack for out by the woodpile.  This one is much deeper than our first racks of this basic design, and also used welded wire fencing to hold in the small pieces.  It should work a lot better, with fewer collapses of the kindling pile.
I split some wood, and while doing so, told DH of my desire for a piece of wood to block the splits from rolling back into my feet.  Some of the splits are rather large and heavy, and it is a goodly drop from the ram, to my toes!  And I don't always wear my steel toed boots to split wood...  So he ran with the concept, and built me a wood slide from some scrap wood and 2x4's.  You can see it there below in the photo.  It worked great!
We also helped our church get some supplies for the upcoming security light installation.  DH knew what was needed, and so we met one of the deacons at Home Despot Depot and got what was needed.  Next up, getting the installation done.

And of course, today was St.Patrick's Day.  And silly me, I forgot to wear my orange t-shirt.  My father, being an Orangeman, convinced me long ago to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day.  Strangely enough, in High School, there were only a couple of people who knew why I did it.  They were teachers, and a close friend or two.  Monkey1 did wear her orange t-shirt today though.  

The Monkeys sort of got a day off too.  They were dropped off at Petco, to help the local animal shelter with adoption day.  They walked a ton of dogs, and spent time with them.  Then they helped take down the pens, and get the dogs ready for transport.  They had a lot of fun, and their help was much appreciated.

And lastly FB reminded me today was the 3yr anniversary of Cody's passing.  It doesn't seem like it has been that long...I miss him.

2 comments:

  1. Such a handsome boy Cody. I miss my dog Lisa and it's been 15 years. Glad you're enjoying the Spring weather with all that wood working. We've still got icy snow covering most of everything. My hubs was raised Anglican and a history buff, so he enjoyed hearing about wearing orange. Our town was mostly Irish and Italian until recently. Now there are a lot of Polish folks. And most everyone we know is Catholic. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a day for missing...beloved's have been on my mind today as well. THe wood pile is fabulous; good for y'all! Warms so many times, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.