Thursday, March 22, 2018

Two Outstanding Movies!

This week we opted to rent a pair of movies.  One I had heard of, the other was unknown by title, though I was well familiar with the star, Jackie Chan.  The movies are Darkest Hour, starring Gary Oldman, and The Foreigner, starring Jackie Chan.

I was most familiar with Oldman from some of his more outlandish performances, such as The Professional, and The Fifth Element, to name a couple.  He is a talented actor, but I was having problems seeing him in the lead role in Darkest Hour, a film about the first 2-3 weeks of Winston Churchill's tenure #1 as British Prime Minister.  I mean, he's a fairly lithe actor, with a bony facial structure...and lithe and bony Churchill was NOT!

However, being a history and WWII buff, and a fan of Churchill in general, I was willing to give it a chance.  I was not disappointed!  The film is excellent.  It is well worth renting.  The acting is excellent, the sets appear reasonably accurate historically, and the story compelling.  I do think they played Churchill a little too vulnerable compared to the historical truth, but I don't truly know.    Regardless, it was an enjoyable film.



The second film was Jackie Chan's The Foreigner.  I grabbed it, just because I enjoy Chan's films.  They're usually funny, action filled, and showcase a lot of martial arts.  Chan also does most of his own stunt work, (or did when he was younger).  I didn't even bother to read the box summary.  Had I done so, I would've been intrigued.

The basic plot is Chan plays an immigrant who has become a British citizen.  His daughter is killed in an IRA terror bombing, done by a new resurgent IRA which seems to be seeking to kick off the Troubles again.  Pierce Brosnan plays the second lead as a former IRA terrorist who has become a leading political figure in the 20 year peace.

What follows is a totally plausible story line, involving British/Irish politics, bombings, the IRA (old and new) and some interesting plot twists.  Having some passing familiarity with the Troubles in Northern Ireland, I was fascinated with this film.

It's not a comedy, not by a long stretch.  There's fighting, but not your typical Jackie Chan marital arts fest.  It's definitely NOT your typical Chan film.  But that notwithstanding, it is excellent!  It is an original tale, well acted on all parts, believable, and proves a great vehicle for Chan to showcase and stretch his acting ta lentsbeyond his previous light comedy and martial arts films.  It is probably his best film overall.




I heartily recommend both films!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reviews. My hubs has been meaning to see the Churchill film. We've also seen lots of Chan films, from way back when, like Drunken Master.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.