Monday, September 1, 2014

Old Friends

With apologies to Simon and Garfunkel.

Old friends,
Sat on their dog couch
Like bookends.
A newspaper blown through the grass,
It must be barked at
quite loudly,
By the old friends.
Old friends.
Winter companions,
The old dogs,
Lost in their furcoats,
Waiting for the sunrise.
The sounds of their barking,
Sifting through trees,
Settle like dog hair,
On the noses,
Of the old friends.
Can you imagine us
Years from today,
Sharing this dog bed quietly?
How terribly strange
To be seven times, human years.
Old friends,
Memory brushes the same ears,
Silently sharing without fears... 

Time it was
And what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence
A time of walks and thrown balls.


Long ago it must be,
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you.




6 comments:

  1. NOW who needs a larger bed? lovely words and sentiment; I want to die the day after I can no longer take care of my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very touching. I really understand the sentiment. It's coming up on the anniversary of my losing Maxie (Sept. 4th). My little girl. I don't know if I can bear it but I must. I keep repeating "she was just a dog, she was just a dog ..." but my heart says otherwise. I pray I can suck it up and endure.
    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!
    Thank you so much . .
    Sometimes you simply know exactly what to share - to give peace and lift hearts . . .


    ReplyDelete
  4. That was absolutely brilliant.

    I am glad you got "The Book of Barkley to Read". I gave a copy to someone today I wasn't going to, as I know them professionally and trying to keep work and writing separate. But not only had she just finished some brutal breast cancer treatment, her son leaving to serve overseas in the military in a dangerous place in the meantime, her beloved dog died.

    She read some bits of it in the parking lot after work and cried. But she said it was "happy tears". I'm glad I gave it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry - duplicate comment. I just linked this. It's still making me smile.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.