Friday, June 20, 2014

Nonnie needs your help...

Ok, first a heads up warning.  There's one graphic injury picture I am going to post here.  Second I am going to ask you, my readers, to consider donating money to help Nonnie.  If that offends, I apologise, but I need to get the word out about this dog, and to try to help my friends at TIRR Rescue who are bearing the financial burden of her care.
Nonnie

Nonnie is a dog.  A purebred Rhodesian Ridgeback, who was adopted a number of years ago thru TIRR.  She was trained as a Service Dog, and faithfully served her family's disabled child for most of those years.  Then tragically, the child passed away.  I don't know exactly when.  But at some point, within the last 2 months I suspect, Nonnie was injured.  The injury was misdiagnosed, when in fact it was far more severe an injury.  The damage grew and grew.  The family opted to return Nonnie to TIRR.  All dogs adopted from TIRR come with a no-questions-asked return policy.  If you no longer want the dog, TIRR will take it back.

But when they are sick, or injured, TIRR also bears the financial burden of the dog's care and rehabilitation, often running into the thousands of dollars.  With Nonnie, they bear the burden of trying to heal this... (graphic pic alert).


Yeah, that's a hunk of missing skin the size of my open hand.  It makes me angry to see how this injury was allowed to grow until she was returned to TIRR for treatment!  But I don't know the people, nor do I know their situation.  It could be worse--she could have been dumped on the side of the road to get hit by a car, or die of infection, or get euthanized.  So, Nonnie is lucky.  The injury has not affected her gait, and provided that infection can be kept at bay, she stands an excellent chance of a full recovery.   TIRR will see to her care and eventual placement in a new FOREVER home.

Nonnie has been to the vet at the excellent facility in Justin TX.  She has had surgery to begin to close the wound.  Through it all, she has been a real trooper.  She won over the hearts of the vet's office this week.  All this has to be hard on her--the injury, the emotional pain of separation  and abandonment from the only life she knew.  But she has remained a sweet and loving dog.

Here she is, sporting her spiffy new Urban Camo bandage!  The recovery and healing will be long.  The vet costs, even with Rescue discounts, will be high.  There is a risk, if the wound becomes infected, that she could lose the leg, or even possibly her life.  TIRR needs your help to cover Nonnie's vet bills.  You can read more of Nonnie's story on the TIRR  facebook page.  TIRR is a 501c3 registered charitable organization, thus donations are tax deductible if you choose to do so.  You can find all of TIRR's contact information, both email and snail mail plus a series of Paypal donation buttons, on the TIRR Petfinder page.  Just scroll down the page to find them.  If you feel led to do so, please send something for Nonnie's care.  All donations via Paypal through this month will be dedicated for Nonnie's care.  Funds mailed can of course be directed per your instructions.  No amount is too small--it all adds up, and it all helps, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Several folks on FB have expressed a desire to foster Nonnie or adopt her.  Hopefully one of those will turn out to be her forever home.  She is a good girl, and deserves a loving home for the rest of her days.  "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' Matthew 25:21 NIV


7 comments:

  1. Definitely never offended when requesting help for one of God's creatures in need. Just my opinion but it appears her former owners abused and neglected her. Well, I hope someone can step forward, pay the bills and give her a Forever Home. Please keep us posted as to her progress? Thanks. She's so sweet looking. This is when I wish I was wealthy. *sigh* Praying for her and for y'all today. God bless. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to share her story and am glad to hear, people want her, a real gem!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. for all you do, for caring . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't find their address on their site; want to send a check...where?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone else wishes to mail a donation, please email me from my profile or post it in your comment here and I will email you their postal address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so beautiful. The saddest part is that she is a service dog and probably gave so much of her heart to those people. I suppose that after losing a child, those people weren't in the right frame of mind to care for her properly. But that poor dog - she lost her child, then her home, then was hurt and sick. What a sad story! I'm glad she's doing better, and I hope her next home is the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send me their address hon. I'm sure we can do something to help.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.