Tuesday, April 30, 2013

PK spring flowers #1 -- Lavender!

We spent the weekend out camping at Possum Kingdom Lake with the cub scouts.  It was a lot of fun, and is a gorgeous location.  The first night was a bit loud, as you have 40-some screaming young boys running around, doing what boys do... and adding to it were the few folks who arrived around 11pm to set up camp.  But things seemed to settle down after the last car drove off to park.

When we camped at PKL last year on Mother's Day weekend (YAY! seriously, I loved it), there were a lot of Texas ditchweeds in full flower.  Since this trip was a couple weeks earlier I was hoping to see some different flowers this time.  Nature did not disappoint either.

 A wild Verbena (Glandularia canadensis)

There was a hike Saturday, where my 2nd surgery knee let me know it is not fond of uneven ground to walk on, so I took it slow (read Tail-end Charlie), and paused for pictures every time I saw an interesting flower or two.  I think I will invest in a pair of trekking poles for stability.

I've selected a couple pics to share, and a color theme for Tuesday.  Lavender!  I wish I was better at plant ID, but I haven't a clue what these flowers are.  If anyone knows for sure, please feel free to chime in.

I am pretty sure now this is Blue Curl (Phacelia congesta).


PKL is truly photogenic, especially in spring.  Come high summer the view is likely to be obscured by smoke, as the scars from the fires of a year or two ago attest.

 




























  This little ditchweed was so pretty and delicate.
It's Silver Leaf Nightshade (Solanum elaeagnifolium).



















This flower I did not see very often.  It was so slender, that it was difficult to get into focus.
I believe it is a Slender Verbena/Texas Vervain (Verbena halei). 
The view from camp out across the lake was lovely.  You got a good view of the surrounding cliffs, through which the Brazos River runs.  Sadly this was the only decent picture I got of the view, as the camera on my phone did not want to focus to infinity I guess.  So it is a little blurry.

I think I will do another post next week on the PKL flora. I have a couple more categories I can do of types, and color groups.  At the very least, it should be visually interesting, even if my prose leaves something to be desired.  So everyone, I hope you have a good week, and stay safe out there!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love your flower pics I have no idea what flower it is but it sure is pretty. That is a really nice place to camp. Take care of your knee. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've since gone though some online plant ID guides and am pretty confident of the ID's I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pics. Definitely get yourself some trekking poles, they are a great help, particularly when carrying a pack too.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.