|See that webbing? It's holding up the old fence!|
On day 2, we began painting the 350 pickets. They are 4"x 72" rough surfaced dog ear pickets. They are a pain to paint, being rough. It takes a LOT more paint at $29/gal to cover them properly. But first, while I took Ranger to the vet for a checkup, vaccination, and microchipping, DH and the Monkeys began moving the pickets to the back yard. That's when they discovered the pickets were a bit wet from all the rain of late. So they propped up all 350 of them to dry in the breeze. About an hour after I got home from the vet, we began to paint.
|Pickets and more pickets.|
Day three dawned dry, with rain in the forecast, possibly severe in the late afternoon or evening. After evicting the ant farm that moved from the tarp it had been living in, into the pile of unpainted pickets, we were painting madmen all day long! Our lovely breeze from yesterday had vanished, and it was humid and warm all day. It seemed like the pile of unpainted pickets never got any smaller, until just as we ran out of paint, we ran out of pickets to paint!
Much as yesterday, radar shows more storms inbound. So after a quick run to Sonic for something to eat, it was time to stack everything up again, and cover it all with tarps. That will keep the stuff dry, so the paint will cure better.
|A little chainsaw art!|
|The former fence.|
Friday, as the pictures above detail, was demolition day for the old fence. Taking down the old panels was simple. Digging out the old rotted-off-in-the-ground fence posts was not. Some of the posts were barely set in any concrete. Those came out with minimal effort. There there were those that I suspect were used to hide pieces of Jimmy Hoffa, there must've been 160# of Sakcrete down at least 3ft. One of those had it's concrete ball wedged under two other concrete masses that had to remain untouched, as they were anchoring two posts that were not being removed. That was fun...
Raven by Predator Tools, and a Lesche digging trowel.
|Setting the first kicker boards.|
Saturday was when we ran across our biggest measurment error. One post hole had drifted too far east, meaning the 8ft stringers overhung the brackets by about 4 inches. It also meant the gap to the next post was in excess of 8ft, longer than our stringers. After several calls to various hardware stores in search of a fence splice, I realized I would have to make what we needed. Fortunately I had some aluminum bar stock, a hacksaw, and a drill press!
|Voila! Instant fence splice!|
|Ready for the pickets!|
|The first pickets are on!|
|Monkey2 - hard working belly gunner.|
|Shiloh playing Straw Boss.|
|OMG! It looks like a fence!|
|Our side of the fence.|
|It is! It is! It is a fence!|