Saturday, February 28, 2015

Happy Birthday Cody!

He was just a starving youngling, when we first saw him.  He had gone from doggy hell, to a kill shelter, where they knew he was part Ridgeback, and called TIRR.  That was our third day in Texas...  TIRR brought him to us the next weekend, after feeding him 6-8 cups a day.  He was still nearly skin and bone, but no longer at risk of death.  He has been here ever since.

That was nearly twelve years ago, and his papers from the vet listed a birthday of 02/28/03.  So today, we celebrate Cody's twelfth year, a good and long life, for a big dog.  This will be his last birthday, we know , as his tumors are too large.  But he is not in any great pain, as best I can tell, and for what pains he will acknowledge, I have pills.  He has been seizure free since he got on phenobarbital last year, which has been a blessing.

Today he gets his more of his special home made peanutbutter dog treats.  He will get a milkbone or two (or more if my youngest Monkey has any say!).  And he is as comfortable as I can make him.  It's not a bad life for an old dog.  

Happy Birthday my sweet Cody!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday dear Cody - you were blessed to have a family that loves and cares for you so much.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.