Saturday, August 25, 2012

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers....

Well, not really.  That's not my style or temperment.  So when I find my pessimistic worldview tested by kind strangers, it is always a pleasant surprise.

Twice in the last week, I have been on the receiving end of unexpected kindness.  First, was when my Mom, the Monkeys and I all went off to Half Price Books to do a bit of shopping.  As I was checking out with a wad of reading materials and Monkey DVD's, I asked the cashier if they had any discount coupons (I had seen one on the counter that was not yet 'active').  He said sorry, but no.  And then the lady behind us in line chimed in, with a "Yes I have a spare coupon you can have."  Out of the blue...it was even a big coupon too, maybe 15% off total IIRC.  I thanked her profusely.

Now onto today's kindness...Dave went with a mutual friend up to Wichita Falls for the Hotter 'N Hell 100 bike ride.  While there at the staging area early this morning, Dave apparently set down his smartphone.  Then he went for a ride, leaving said phone behind.

Apparently a young man spotted it and picked it up with the intent to turn it in as lost, and forgot.  Dave did the 100mi ride, but the young man did the 25mi ride, and so finished hours earlier than Dave.  I had noticed Dave's phone had magically transported itself to Saginaw TX, which is nowhere near the HHH100 route...Puzzled, I assumed it was a typical GPS glitch where the tracker will log you in another state for a brief time.

Dave called, and had me brick his phone remotely (temporarily).  Just after doing this, the young man called MY phone, and told me how he had found the phone sitting there, and forgot to turn it in.  He and I talked a bit, and he said he would take it to work Monday morning, and I could pick it up at the front desk.  Sweet!  I know who/where/when to pick it up.  I should be able to unbrick it.  I can get it back to Dave later on Monday.  Life is good!

Two people, through small acts of kindness, have helped me remember not everyone out there is part of the "ME ME ME, I I I" crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.