Thursday, June 6, 2013

Random 5 Friday 06/07/13

1.  Yesterday was the 69th anniversary of D-Day.  They say we lose some 600 WWII veterans a day...soon I guess there will be none left alive who were there and who fought in that war.

2.  Tuesday is the start of the RAAM, Race Across AMerica.  As I have gotten back into cycling, this event has captured my imagination, having seen Bicycle Dreams, and chatted with RAAM veterans in person and on the forums.  I plan on following Maria Parker, a solo RAAM recumbent rider.  She is riding to support the charity 3000 Miles to a Cure, and to honor her sister, who is fighting for her life against brain cancer.  Maria is also working with Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure, an organization that has an interesting take on research and funding.  Look them  up...it is a unique concept, and one that in my mind, has merit.

3.  Should any of you folks feel led to support Maria, or even just give her encouragement, I think that would be fantastic!  I know she has a Facebook page 3ktoacure, and was hoping to get a lot of "likes" on it.  I am hoping her live GPS tracking works well on the ride, as I will enjoy following her progress.

4.  I had my hair cut Wednesday.  I have not had hair this short since before I got married.  DH says he likes it, so I am glad, as I like it too.  The Monkeys think it's kinda cool, and the dogs aren't sure what to think, as suddenly "Mom" looks different!

5.  My Monkeys liked these yard flowers even better than the pretty picture from yesterday of our day lily.

10 comments:

  1. 600 that is a conciderable number per day, 69 years, it ended 6 years before I was born. I shall google Marie Parker and her 3000 miles to cure thanks for sharing this.Those are lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marie has taken on a big feat I wish her well and what a wonderful cause. I will look her up also.
    I cut my hair too but you can see in my photo it never looks nice after jamming on a hat and sitting in the bush. Nice flowers.
    Texas sounds a little different for sure:) B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Maria has a wonderful ride. Must be neat to see the country that way.

    I am sure your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the info about Maria ... I'll go take a look. D-Day will be moment in a history book when all the veterans are gone ... so sad .. it isn't enough. Glad you are enjoying your cycling. I got my hair cut too -- and it seems much shorter than usual ... that's okay .. it is summer! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy your haircut - I'm still in "Woolly Mammoth Mode."

    There's a lyric i wanted to share:"Time, is on my side . . . yes it is!"

    beautiful flowers.
    love & love,
    -g-


    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I haven't had a haircut in years. Seems to be easier for me that way.

    Thanks so much for sharing your facts today and that's a lovely bush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pink flowers!

    It's sad about losing the WWII veterans. My father was one. He's been gone nearly 16 years. He wrote down some of his stories and I have some letters that he wrote home during the war. I treasure them.

    That's neat about Maria and her journey. Thank you for telling us about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi M.K. ~~ Picture please!!! Of the new haircut, that is. Mrs. Jim has hers shorter than I've seen it in 40 years. She let her hair be "enhanced natural" in color too.

    I won't be able to follow Maria but I can like her FB. At first I thought you were following her on your bike. I guess it is a 3K ride.

    Thank you for mentioning the 600 WWII vets. I have lost track of my Airborne 101 Div friend. We used to race cars together but he was older than me. He might have been any one of the 600. My hope is that he isn't one of the between 130,000 and 200,000 on any given night who don't have a place.

    I didn't go to war but spent five years in the U.S. Army. I am glad that I am not one of those either, at least for now. 23% or more of the homeless in America are veterans.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should do a post with a before & after pic of the new "do"!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's sad that our young people don't even know about WWII. Those guys gave it their all. I know we are losing so many of them and then that part of history will be lost.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.