Monday, November 11, 2013

Not Forgotten

To all our veterans out there, in this country, and in the Commonwealth, thank you.  Your service, and your sacrifices will not be forgotten.  I am teaching my children to remember.

And for the dead, from the first World War, and all the countless wars and insurrections since...I remember the little paper poppies, that the old men on the street downtown, would give you for a donation on this day...to remember the dead, in Flanders Fields.
.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
 
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
 
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
 
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


4 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I didn't really know about the poppies until recently.

    You won the random draw on my blog for some homemade soap! Will you email me your address to varunner7 at aol dot com, along with whether you would rather have a cat or fairy soap. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the paper poppies . . .
    it was considered an honor to wear them . . .

    Love & Love to YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.