Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Call me Serenity

This is a repost, because I accidentally deleted the original

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Call me Serenity

WARNING:  Rampant anthropomorphism below! 

My life, such as it has been, has consisted of a difficult time when I was first assembled, where things did not go smoothly.  My expenses were legion, those "birthing pains" costing a fair bit in time, money and good bourbon.

Ever since my assembly was completed, my home has been in the garage.  I had not even seen the light of day since Thanksgiving, my last time out on the road.  I felt lonely, unloved.  What had I done to deserve this banishment?  The only attention I received was a coating of dust--the Mark of the Unloved.

Or so I thought.

Then came a glimmer of hope.  Things began to change last week.  At first I didn't believe it.  I thought I was being moved outside just to get the lawnmower and edger out.  It's mid-Spring, so it had to be the mower.  I got taken outside and propped up against the oak.  If a bike could sigh, I would've done so.

Sigh...
But then my Captain came up, with pump in hand!  My tires got aired up!  Then came the Bike Wash spray.  I was getting cleaned.  Uh-oh, I thought...they're gonna sell me.  My Stoker came out, and sat on my rear seat.  I heard her remark that I truly was comfortable.  It sounded like a tinge of regret in her voice.  I was as afraid as a bike can be!

Yet, they spoke fondly of me, and of the regret of not having ridden me for so long.  I was cleaned gently and then visitors stopped by.  Were they here to buy me?  Captain and Stoker took a long time, talking about me and the other recumbent bikes and trikes they have, with these visitors.  There was no talk of selling me!  They were just sharing their love of the road, and riding, and of recumbents!  Later that evening I was carefully returned to my slot in the garage, with talk of taking me out for a ride on the weekend perhaps.

Then came Saturday morning.  Yesterday.  I was taken back out from the darkness of the garage, into the light of day.  Tools were loaded onboard.  Tires checked again. I saw them suited up for riding!  GPS's were attached, and water bottles slotted into my carriers.  I was going out for a ride!  Yippee!

And then, oh what joy!  They brought out the stickers.  I was finally going to be named.  Captain had always said in the past my name should be PITA (pain in the a...).  I could not believe what I saw.  The sticker wasn't PITA, but instead, Serenity.
I knew I had to perform my best, to make them happy.  They opted for a shorter 21mile loop over known roads.  Off we went, with a fine tailwind to speed us northward (all the better to crush one's spirit on the way home, uphill).  Traffic was light, and the road in reasonable shape after a harsh winter.  I shifted cleanly, nothing rattled loose, and Captain and Stoker had fun--I heard them say so! 
Stoker even shot video of the tree lined road that is one of their favorite runs.  (Stoker found out how to add free music so sit back and enjoy.)
When we all got back home, it was smiles all around.  I had done it!  They were happy, and had enjoyed the ride.  I was proud to have actually earned my new name, Serenity!

5 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...
Great name. Glad you're out and biking!
Maggid said...
Most Excellent!!!
Wa-HOOOO!
Sparky @ My Thoughts Exactly said...
Good post. I like the name. It reminds of the Seinfeld episode where George's father kept saying "Serenity now! Serenity now!" *ha ha*
Enjoy riding again. ~:)
A Quiet Corner said...
What a wonderful surprise...a far cry from PITA!!...:)JP
Monkeywrangler said...
The font, and name for the bike, come from the SciFi show Firefly, and it's pilot/movie called Serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.