Friday, June 24, 2016

A New Independence Day JUne 23, 2016. BREXIT!

OMG!  I was sure the LEAVE campaign was going to lose...especially after that MP was murdered in Britain, and she was a REMAIN supporter.  I've been following this movement since I first got word of it.  Never having been a fan of the EU, this movement to exit was intriguing.  And now I see word of FREXIT (France) and possibly GREXIT (Greece).

I also understand that BREXIT may lead to the actual breakup of the United Kingdom as I have always known it (England, N.Ireland, Scotland and Wales).  Perhaps that is not a bad thing in the long run.  After all, Britain survived the breakup of Empire, and there is still the Commonwealth, so perhaps things won't change as much as some folks think.

Besides, Scotland has wanted full self-government for a long time.  Perhaps now they should get their chance, though I think their wanting to stay in the EU as a separate country is not such a grand idea.  And a Reunification of Ireland?  It could happen, I suppose, if the Green outnumber the Orange in the North.

I will say I was quite impressed by PM Cameron's speech today.  He was not only gracious in defeat, he was honest about it, and accepted responsibility for the outcome (his side lost).  As such, he has opted to step down, and allow for a new government to be formed.
These changes will not all be easy for Britain.  But the people voted, and their government listened.  I wish them all the best.  Rule Britannia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.