Sunday, April 20, 2014

For Brigid...


John 3:16
King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

By the time you read this, it will be Easter Sunday.  I had planned a post on the conclusion of the yard project this week.  That post's been put on hold, as I sadly learned my friend Brigid's brother has passed away on Good Friday evening, about the time our Tenebrae service was held.

For Brigid, her father, and all her family, you have my heartfelt sympathy for your loss.  May these far more eloquent words of others bring you some small comfort in this time of grief.

Psalm 107:23-30
King James Version (KJV)

23 They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
24 These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.
25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
26 They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.
28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Sea Fever
BY JOHN MASEFIELD

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, my dear friend. I had brought the book you mailed me for him to read, but I know the wonders he has before him now are even greater. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet. Add my prayers for Brigid and family as they go through this sad time together. I pray they find comfort, peace and eventually joy in knowing that their loving Saviour cares for them all. And all their Christian family loves them too. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite poems. My sympathy to Brigid and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about this loss - I pray Comfort walks with them all at this time . . and always.

    love & love,
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear of the family's loss and pray for them in the dark days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I blog for myself, my family and friends, and of course the Hounds! I love to read your comments, and I always read them all.

But if you are here just to shill your own product, or are a spammer, don't waste your time or mine.